The student voice of Solano Community College

Dead Man’s Cell Phone

Upcoming theatre production explores technology and missed connections

Zuriel Sanders and Catalina Donnell

The play “Dead Man’s Cell Phone,” written by Sarah Ruhl, is a romantic comedy about an incessantly ringing cell phone in a quiet café, a stranger at the next table who has had enough, and a dead man–with a lot of loose ends.

So begins “Dead Man’s Cell Phone,” the odyssey of a woman forced to confront her own assumptions about morality, redemption, and the need to connect in a technologically obsessed world.

Due to remodeling of SCC’s theater building, the play will take place in the back of the cafeteria, or what the actors like to call “Studio G,” named after George Maguire, the former director of SCC Theater. The actors don’t mind, though, because they feel comfortable there. “We’re lucky to have a legitimate place to perform,” said Kaitlin Waite, who plays lead character Jean. She says that they are ready to perform at Studio G.

One perk of being in the cafeteria is having close access to food, the cast members said. The new theatre building, due to be opened sometime in 2016, will cost around $14 million. “It’ll be the new center of arts for Solano and the whole community will use it,” said Dyan McBride, director of “Dead Man’s Cell Phone”.
Opening day of “Dead Man’s Cell Phone” is Oct. 21, running through Nov.1.

The director of Solano Community College’s upcoming production is Dyan McBride and the lead actors include Shiloh Germano, Kaitlin Waite, Annika Sund, Kaylie Butler, Katie Watkins, Mark Bennett, Edna Vicente, Zachary Bender, Benjamin Ree, Erin Jones, and Jeannie Barnes.

Preview day is Oct. 21, so tickets are $5 for everyone. Tickets are $5 for students, $10 for seniors/military, and $15 for general. Tickets can also be purchased online through a link on the Solano College Theatre Facebook page, or in person at the box office before show time.

Comments