The student voice of Solano Community College

The Tempest

Violence stops with Mychal Wynn

LaTasha Monique

“I didn’t even know where Boston was but I knew I was going to college,” says Mychal Wynn.

Despite his ignorance and upbringing, Wynn went on to be a successful publisher and motivational speaker. He spoke at the “Stop the Violence Summit” held in Solano Community College’s cafeteria Tuesday, Feb 20. This event was sponsored by Ella Tolliver, Karen McCord and Associated Students of Solano Community College.

Born in Pike County Alabama and given away before 6 months, Wynn would be passed on to a loving family in Chicago. “Back then there was no formal adoption for us, it was can you take car of the baby?”

Doing his best to avoid the troubles that the poverty stricken segregated south side of Chicago was offering, Wynn did just enough to get through his elementary and junior high school years.

Verbalizing his childhood dream of becoming “a great black writer” to his high school guidance counselor Mr. Jones, Wynn had his dreams “stepped on” when Jones replied, “There ain’t no jobs for no Negro writers”.

Crushed by his high school guidance counselors words yet determined to take advantage of the mentoring relationship he had with his dad, Wynn decided to go to the Northeastern University of Boston.

“I didn’t have two pennies to squeeze together,” said Wynn. “But I was following a dream, even if it’s not mine.”

Still without a plan, he would emerge with an electrical engineering degree that would allow him to escape the poor streets of Chicago. His degree would get him a high paying job as a system design analyst at a top company.

Even if for a moment, Wynn enjoyed his new found toys of cars, condos and credit cards. “I like that part of the dream,” Wynn admitted. “I was a black man working.”

During college, Wynn had spent time tutoring other students and came to the realization that some dreams never die. Once again, Wynn found himself talking to his old guidance counselor. “I told Mr. Jones I want to be a writer,” said Wynn.

And with that, Wynn packed up his tiny sports car and headed to South Central Los Angeles where he would take his old college love of teaching and intertwine it with his childhood dream of writing.

The message that Wynn sends across to young African American males is that they should not only have a dream but do their best to achieve their dreams. Wynn lets them know that “everyone must have a dream in order to survive in this world”.

In his presentation, Wynn encourages all people to hold fast to their dreams no matter what challenges they face.

“And not only should you validate your dreams,” states Wynn, “but you should share your dreams with others and mentor them so that they can develop their dreams,” he said.

Recognizing the gap in success amongst African American males, Wynn feels that often times the problem lies in having “no hope behind the dream” and encourages African American males to stay focused and do what it takes to fulfill their dreams.

“If you have to, get someone who’s smarter than you to be your friend. Build relationships, everyone has knowledge to share,” says Wynn.

Wynn has gone on to publish over 20 books and owns his own publishing company. Believing in the idea of building the mentoring relationship, Wynn continues to mentor African American males as he helps them to develop skills for success.

“Where you come from doesn’t determine where you are going, only where you begin,” states Wynn. “Everyone can achieve their dreams and everyone can be a mentor. It’s a matter of finding your genius.”

Comments