The student voice of Solano Community College

The Tempest

A thousand cranes of hope

Origami cranes a symbol of peace, unity, happiness, and love.

Kimberly Policarpio holds a selection of the cranes she folded. She is nearly half way to her goal of 1,000 cranes folded by October this year.

dagmar kuta

dagmar kuta

Addi Simmons, staff writer

Origami cranes have long been thought of as a symbol of peace, unity, happiness, and love. To fold even one takes an incredible amount of patience, and psychology major and pre-med student Kimberly Policarpio has undertaken a project to fold one thousand of them.

According to Japanese legend, the crane is considered a holy creature. It is said to live for a thousand years and making one thousand paper cranes will get you a wish.

“Usually in Japanese culture if you make a thousand cranes your wish will come true. I’m close to four hundred right now,” Policarpio said.
While most people would choose to keep the paper cranes and make a wish themselves, Policarpio plans to send them to a band in Korea called B.A.P. (Best Absolute Perfect).

“They inspire me and they’re really important to me. They’re doing a lot of projects for charity work currently. It’s not a lot, but I hope that it would inspire them to keep doing what they’re doing,” Policarpio said.

Policarpio’s friend, Marithony Tan, is also a supporter of B.A.P. and what they stand for.

“They are my inspiration and heroes. Their leader donates money each month for kids, not only in Africa, but everywhere in the world to get a better life. They’re truly amazing people,” Tan said.

A perfect example of the power of unity and hope that the making of origami cranes can provide is 17-year-old Calista Frederick-Jaskiewicz, founder and CEO of Origami Salami and Folding for Good’s global fold-in initiative “Operation Sandy Hook: Peace.”

“Our initiative to send paper cranes to Sandy Hook in the wake of the school murders there netted over 10 thousand cranes, donated and mailed to Pennsylvania, from folders in 13 countries. Thousands of people folded cranes. Many contained handwritten messages of hope and consolation,” said Frederick-Jaskiewicz.
Frederick-Jaskiewicz has been folding origami since she was a kid. She originally founded Origami Salami when she was 12 and has been folding for charity and organizations ever since.

“The repetitious folding of cranes as a mental discipline in an effort to do good is as satisfying as it is productive. It is a physical representation of your hopes and wishes of support for the recipient. A profound act of kindness,” said Frederick-Jaskiewicz
Policarpio has been folding the cranes since January and hopes to have them completed, stringed together, and delivered to B.A.P. by Oct. 22, one thousand days after the band debuted.

“I think the hardest part is staying with it. At first I had a roll going but when school started I didn’t have as much time as I did before. I feel like I’m falling behind a bit,” Policarpio said.

Tan has seen firsthand the drive and determination Policarpio possesses to finish making the thousand cranes and believes she will complete the project on time because of her determination.

“I know she can successfully finish it. She works really hard day and night to complete this project.” Tan said. “I get inspired by a lot of things and Kim is one of them. She can get through anything because she has a strong heart.”

[email protected]

Comments