The Tempest

Horticulture program welcomes students for pumpkin patch; begins work on new facility

Judith Perez, staff writer

The adaptive horticulture program at SCC invited students, faculty, and staff to come out to their pumpkin patch to harvest their own organically grown pumpkins Oct 30. Their pumpkins were planted from seeds in June, and maintained all throughout summer and fall by the students.

“The funds raised from the pumpkin patch go towards the adaptive horticulture class field trip,” says Sandra Diehl, horticulture professor. “To a Christmas tree farm in Dixon this December.”

The SCC children’s program participated in the event.

“The adaptive horticulture program is designed for adults with disabilities and have special learning needs,” Diehl said. “The classes offer these students vocational training in the field of horticulture.”

Solano’s horticulture program was recently approved (Aug. 18) to begin construction on a new facility. Trees and shrubs to be removed have been tagged, and a contract for their removal will be presented to the SCCD governing board on Nov. 18.

Comments