The student voice of Solano Community College

The Tempest

Solano students observe international educational week

Judith Perez, staff writer

Solano students took a trip around world with International Education week. Every year a week before Thanksgiving, International Education week is celebrated and observed. This year’s theme is “advancing access for all” according to the International Affairs Office of the U.S. Department of Education. International Education Week started in 2000 and is currently celebrated in more than 100 countries worldwide, according to the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.

Solano’s international club held a series of events throughout the week to feature their own activities to share with the rest of the school.

“The event was very welcomed and a lot of people were intrigued about the cultures,” said Faraj Al-badni, a member of the international club. “The interaction between the international students and Solano students was really noticeable and refined.”

The club sold traditional Ghanaian food, consisting of beans and rice in the 1400 lobby, catered and donated by Ms. Joy’s African Market in Fairfield. That was followed by a showing of “Heartbreakers,” (“L’Arnacoeur”) a French romantic comedy.. The club also set up a number of stands and displays from over 20 countries.

“International Education Week is recognized throughout the U.S.,” said Laurie Cheatham, adviser of the international club. “And it focuses on study abroad opportunities and students overseas can come to the U.S. to study.”

Solano’s International Education program currently has students from 27 countries.

The club went to an SCC board of trustees meeting to highlight their plans for the week.

“International Education Week is an opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide,” Cheatham told the board Nov. 19. “This joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education is part of our country’s effort to promote programs that prepare Americans for the global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences in the U.S.”

“I am very happy with the response we’ve had to this event from Solano students and faculty,” said Makafui Ahorney, president of the international club. “It is a way for international students to share a part of their world with the rest of the school.”

Comments

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Solano students observe international educational week”

1. S"Amauria Nicole Tatum on December 23rd, 2015 1:12 pm

I was an past student here and this is a very good College in the Solano County district. I got along and made friends here and received an Certificate in Horticulture. I also took Banking/Finances and got 2 good grades. Social Science 22 I received an A and in Speech I received an C . I have a 2 year experience here and the Teachers are excellent they helped me pass my classes, gave me extra credit and allowed me to go summer school. I say if you want to go to school go here, you will find a lot of happiness!

[Reply]

S"Amauria Nicole Tatum Reply:

I was a past student here and the teachers are great, and they helped me a lot gave me extra credit, and also allowed me to go to summer school to pass my classes. I have really learned a lot from this school and I say to you if you want to go to school go here! You will meet all different kinds of people and make lots of friends!

[Reply]

In the interest of fair play, no personal attacks are permitted in this newspaper's comments. You may question or argue the content, but not attack the commenter. Failure to adhere to these guidelines result in removal and blocked access.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*