The student voice of Solano Community College

The Tempest

Media Massacre

Mark Jensen, Online editor

Mark Jensen, Online editor

Mark Jensen, Online editor

The media gets away with murder every single day, and it’s our (the publics) fault. We are advertised products that we don’t actually need yet the commercials say are “a must own.” The news does not report actual news, instead they report on the latest murder, kidnapping, or anything that even rhymes with terrorism. Children’s programming has gone from humble cartoons with simple art and premises, to psychedelic strangeness, most of which don’t even make sense on paper. Music Television aka MTV doesn’t even play music anymore and for God’s sake don’t let me get started on Guy Code. BET is a stereotype in itself with shows like 106 and Park, and The Game to make sure the youth stay in their place as far as development into a respectable person goes. Fox news is less of a news station and more of a place for ignorance to fester. Fox News is not quite the bottom of the barrel; more like what you would find under the barrel. I have literally seen Bill O’ Reilly be proven wrong with facts, cut his guest of mid-sentence, then go on to demonize the person HE INIVITED TO THE SHOW.

The internet has all but taken over the lives of the average American. Smart phones, QR codes, and Wi-Fi and have managed to make sure that we do not live without it. Where advertisements used to rely only on you going to the store to find their product, now they are complete with “like us on Facebook” or “follow us on Twitter.” Online gaming has eradicated any thought of going outside and playing with friends for the youth. I am literally waiting for the government to start plugging us into the matrix so I can find Neo for some lessons in Taekwondo. What’s the weather going to be today? Google it. What happened in Boston last week? Google it. When did slavery start and end? Google it. Question; who is checking Google, or their partners for that matter, sources? Does anybody even go that far anymore to question these things? Encyclopedia anyone? Anyone?

When you watch TV, go online, listen to the radio/music, read anything, you are consuming media. This is something that cannot be stopped or slowed unless you sit in a dark, dark room. It’s what you do with that information and how you interpret it that defines you and how you handle things that seem unchangeable. The problem is that people seem to think one voice isn’t powerful enough to bring change. Tell that to Obama, tell that to Michael Moore, hell tell that to Me. The fact is the media is a powerful platform that not enough people tap into, to bring out real facts or change. They would much rather accept what is being told to them and either ignore it or post one FB update complaining and leaving it at that. Did Tokyo just stand by while Godzilla tore there home apart? Did John Q idly while his son died of heart failure? Nay I say and neither should we. In the days of the civil rights it took a million men to march to be heard. Now a days with the internet that is, while it would still be a powerful thing to do, just not necessary.  One person can say something and with enough hard work, dedication, and persistence, anything can be accomplished. A wise man once said “Have faith in God. Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and thrown into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him.” That man’s name was Jesus. It’s all mind over matter, the problem is if we don’t mind then why does it matter?

Comments

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Media Massacre”

1. Jared W. on April 22nd, 2015 9:18 pm

I’m glad to see a brother tellin’ the truth n not pullin’ punches. Thanks for keepin it raw and uncut. You’re an inspiration Mr. Jensen.

[Reply]

2. john on June 10th, 2016 1:03 am

Thanks admin for sharing this information, it is worth to read.

[Reply]

In the interest of fair play, no personal attacks are permitted in this newspaper's comments. You may question or argue the content, but not attack the commenter. Failure to adhere to these guidelines result in removal and blocked access.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Media Massacre

Administration

Campus Conversation: What has given you the most challenge this spring semester?

• Media Massacre

Community News

Campus Conversation: Do you read the student newspaper? How do you feel about the school continuously canceling the class due to lack of sign ups?

• Media Massacre

Clubs

Men’s soccer club trying to form a team

• Media Massacre

Opinion

Campus Conversation: Should Solano instructors be more inclined to use Canvas for student’s sake?

• Media Massacre

Features

Holiday gifts people actually want

• Media Massacre

News

SCC STEM students seek research opportunities in Caltech conference

• Media Massacre

Administration

Solano College announces new Superintendent/President

• Media Massacre

Dining

SCC club’s pre-holiday dinner is a hit

• Media Massacre

Briefs

Plants, wreaths and swags on sale by horticulture club

• Media Massacre

Briefs

Solano to mark World AIDS day

Media Massacre