The Tempest

Olympic soccer coach puts education first

Coach Sissi pushes women's soccer team to a new level

Assistant+Coach+Sisleide+Lima+do+Amor+for+the+SCC+women%E2%80%99s+soccer+team+observes+goalkeeper+Danelle+Hendershot+during+a+team+practice%2C+Aug.+20%2C+2014%2C+
Assistant Coach Sisleide Lima do Amor for the SCC women’s soccer team observes goalkeeper Danelle Hendershot during a team practice, Aug. 20, 2014,

Steve Reczkowski/Tempest

Steve Reczkowski/Tempest

Carlo Marzan, Sports editor

One of the top ranked female soccer players of the century has come to share her experiences with Solano Community College. World Cup and Olympian Sisleide Lima do Amor, or Sissi, has joined the staff for the Women’s Soccer team/program. Lima do Amor was added as a member of the coaching staff to help Head Coach Jeff Cardinal and the Solano Falcon’s women’s soccer team victory.

“I’m very excited, she’s known throughout the world, you know, one of the best female soccer players,” said Solano women’s soccer forward Sydney Sjobberg.

“Having Sissi, someone of her caliber and experience, that’s a big change for our program, having someone like her a part of the coaching staff,” said head coach Jeff Cardinal.

With an already well-established soccer program here at Solano, Lima do Amor’s knowledge and experience of the game will add to the Solano Falcon’s arsenal and lend them an extra edge and make them that much greater.

“It’s already going very well in terms of her connecting with the players, already starting to help our program,” Cardinal said.

From day one here at Solano Community College, coach Sissi has already pushed the women’s soccer team, showing them the next level of hard work and soccer play. What Sissi wants out of the team is commitment and desire to come from the players, to push themselves and do their best.

“She took over one of my teammates positions and I was working with her. By the end I was just on the floor because she worked me that hard,” Sjobberg said.

Coach Sissi also already knows what it means to be a student athlete as she coached previously at Los Positas College.

“Don’t forget they’re still student athletes, they have to take care of their education first and then soccer comes after. That is something that these girls cannot forget,” Sissi said.

“I’m looking forward to this season and always trying to do my best and help them as much as I can,” Sissi said.

Comments